Confirmation Preparation Class for Adults
Cost: $60.00 per person
Dates for classes:
Session One: Friday, May 12, 6:00 to 8:30 p.m.
Session Two: Saturday, May 13, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Classes are offered in English and Spanish
Note: Attendance for both days are required.
All classes will be held at the:
Archdiocese of San Francisco - Pastoral Center
One Peter Yorke Way, San Francisco, CA 94109
Cost: $60.00 per person. This covers the cost of materials, supplies and refreshment.
Role of the Parish
Since sacramental preparation is formation, we expect candidates to have active participation in their parish community. To ensure that this takes place outside the class, the following involvement of the parish with the candidate for Confirmation is expected:
- Conduct a preliminary interview with the candidate (to be done by the Pastor or his representative from the parish staff).
- Provide the candidate with a parish sponsor * who shall maintain weekly contact with the candidate throughout the preparation time.
- Secure from the candidate all documents necessary for the reception of Confirmation e.g. Baptismal Certificate.
- Conduct an exit interview with the candidate (to be done by the Pastor or assigned personnel) for the candidate’s final discernment of the Sacrament
- Inform the candidate and sponsor of the time/ place, date of the celebration of the Sacrament. If the Sacrament will be celebrated at St. Mary’s Cathedral, send a parish representative to attend the ceremony in support of the candidate.
- After the ceremony, provide Confirmation certificate to the newly confirmed and record the sacrament received in the parish Confirmation register.* The Parish Sponsor represents the parish community. The Parish Sponsor acts as a companion who guides, prays with and encourages thecandidate to live out the Christian life of a disciple in the parish community.
Role of the Candidate:
- Attend both interviews with the Pastor or his representative.
- Provide sacramental information on their Baptism and First Eucharist to the parish contact.
- Attend both sessions for catechetical formation at the Archdiocesan Pastoral Center
- Choose a sponsor who is at least 16 years of age, a practicing Catholic and fully initiated (had received Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist)
When can the Sacrament of Confirmation be received?
After the catechetical preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation, the Sacrament may be received in the parish when the Archbishop or Bishop comes to the parish to celebrate the Sacrament of Confirmation with the faith community.
The Sacrament may also be received at the Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption at Pentecost, May 28, at the 11:00 am Mass with the Archbishop.
The Office of Faith Formation will notify the parish that the candidate has completed the course work.